Sunday, August 22, 2010

Are two HDMI ports enough on a new TV for my situation?

I am thinking of getting a TV with 2 HDMI ports (and 2 component ports) and I am wondering if this is enough.





This is my situation:





-I will also get a standard $500 type speaker set





-I will be hooking up a High-Def TV tuner thing from my cable company to watch television in HD





-I will be hooking up a DVD player (an upcoverting 1080p player, which has component and HDMI slots)





-I will be hooking up a PS3 (which has component and HDMI slots) occassionally





I could use one HDMI port on the TV for my TV tuner and the other HDMI port on the TV for my DVD player (and then just switch my PS3 with the DVD player whenever I am hooking up my PS3 or just hook the PS3 up with component cables).





These are my questions:





1) Do you think 2 HDMI ports will be enough for me or should I get a standard 3 HDMI port TV?





2) Will the speaker system require an HDMI port (if so, I'll probably need a 3 port TV)





3) Is it a big deal to just hook some stuff with component to solve the 2 HDMI problem?

Are two HDMI ports enough on a new TV for my situation?
1) As for two ports for hdmi, that will work, but they also make an hdmi switch to manually change between input signals for less than $30.


2) As for speakers, no, just use the standard audio out jacks to output audio to your speaker system and turn off speakers on your tv.


3) Not really, but it would be better if your lcd/plasma was on a more versatile wall mount. They have some that swing out away from the wall. The hanging type is more restricting, but that depends on where they put the panel for the jacks/ports.


Good luck.
Reply:Component will be good for the upconverter and the cable box.





Digital cable has a max resolution of 720p at the moment. Instead of getting a $500 speaker system, get a receiver with HDMI switching so you can plug all of your HDMI equipment in one and switch with one remote.





But 2 HDMI ports should be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment