Thursday, August 19, 2010

DIRECT TV recievers or TIVO's?

I really need some help. If you could give me some advice it would be great. I have a Direct TV reciever, it runs to a Direct tv DVR and a plain Direct TV reciever upstairs that is combined with a TIVO series 2.





A year ago we purchased 5 Tivo 2's so we could wirelessly pass Tivo'ed shows to 3 of our childrens rooms via wireless network. Only 2 rooms could be accessed at a time, we purchased 2 boosters - still no help. We then went local cable (COX) and set up the other rooms, but it became costly and we like NFL ticket.





So we decided to run CAT 5 through the entire house, and two of the kids rooms have Cat 5 but 1 has nothing, not even phone line.





We were told by TIVO that all could link wireless, we were also told if some are on CAT5 the one that wasn't hooked up could then be accessed wirelessly - not so.





Now we have 5 TIVO's not being used, 1 Direct TV dish, and wired CAT5 throughout the house.





We are about to hire a very experienced technical person to hook us up, but he needs to know what we want. He can run CAT5 and phone to the bedroom not working, but we don't know if running DIRECT TV through all rooms with individual DTV boxes is the best or if we can somehow use our TIVO's we spent so much money on? Any suggestions?

DIRECT TV recievers or TIVO's?
Okay i guess I am not totally understanding the question/dilemma? Are these DirecTV tivo's? Or are they Tivo brand Tivo's?


DirecTV Tivo's are hard to set up with just a wireless connection. Tivo Brand is easier. Check out this link. It has what you need for a wireless connection for a Tivo on top. Then if it is a DirecTV Tivo are they modified with PTVnet or the Zipper? If not then you need to purchase PTVnet and upgrade/modify your DirecTV Tivo to enable MRV- MultiRoom Viewing for transfering the shows. Even with the Tivo you need to have all the DirecTV Tivo's or the Tivo's modified with superpatch-67all or superpatch-62a to allow encryption to be removed before it is stored on the hard drive. (not necessary if you are ONLY going to transfer the shows to the other Tivo's)


Next if you have already wired up your house with cat5 then I would wire up the rest of the rooms. You will have a better and faster transfer times with cat5 cabling connected to a wired/wireless router than connecting up wireless devices to each box. Purchase Linksys USB200m Version 2, PTVnet, then attach the Cat5 to the USB200m USB to Ethernet adapter, then connected to the wired/wireless router. This would be QUITE a bit cheaper also, once you run the wiring from all rooms to one room with a wired/wireless router compared to purchasing a USB to ehternet adapter for each Tivo, then a wireless device attached to each Tivo.





Let me explain my setup, I have 5 DirecTV Tivo's that have been upgraded with 200 and 250GB hard drives with InstantCake 6.2 and PTVnet. They have been patched with superpatch-67all and then superpatch-62a, tytool 10r4, Tivowebplus 1.3.1 and so on to allow MultiRoom Viewing and Home Media Option.I also have a sixth DirecTV Tivo that is NOT connected to the Satellite dish but is in one of my kids room just for transfering shows/movies onto so they can watch. Now I ran ethernet cable to each room connected to the direcTV Tivo's with Netgear FA120's and/or Linksys USB200m's. All the cat5 cables connect to my home Linksys Wireless router ( The cat5 cables are connected in the back of the router for a wired connections, I also have the a Linksys Switch so I can connect the extra couple cat5 cables). I can access all the DirecTV Tivo's over the wireless network on any of the desktops or laptops on my wireless network so I can transfer the shows via tytool 10r4 onto the PC so I can Edit and Burn the shows/movies to DVD.





If you want to send me more clearly what you are trying to accomplish here I can tell you what would be the BEST way to set it up. Please let me know what DirecTV Tivo or Tivo models you have, if they are Tivo how are they connected to DirecTV (connected to the output of the DirecTV regular receiver? or how). How do you have any of the Tivo's modified? PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL FOR MORE IDEAS OR QUESTIONS. Also check out these site to figure out how to set up the Tivo's/DirecTV Tivo's as I have above..


http://www.dvrplayground.com


http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/for...


http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/index....





Hope I can help. Please send me an email if you have more questions..


No comments:

Post a Comment